By Ronald Alexander
How can you mend a broken heart?
How can you stop the rain from falling down?
How can you stop the sun from shining?
…Please help me mend my broken heart and let me live again.
- the Bee Gee’s 1971 Hit Song
When we suffer a deep loss or trauma our hearts can literally feel that they have been shattered into a million pieces. Or we feel that our heart has broken open and we are bleeding metaphorically. At times it can even be difficult to breathe. Our heart is both a living organ that is our life source as well as an emotional mind/body metaphor referred to when we experience heartache and sorrow. It’s as if the heart that beats to an electrical energy wave becomes short circuited and burns out, flares out or is broken into many tiny pieces. After the initial shock of a loss many feel the need to push aside their grief lest it overwhelms them with its intensity. This is understandable, but the longer you avoid your pain and attempt to push it away, the more difficult it will be to break out of the paralysis. Just as birds are drawn to bread crumbs on the ground, the pain will keep returning after you shoo it away.
Incoming search terms:
- broken hearts
- how to mend a broken heart from loss of a loved one -catholic teachings
- body transformation after broken hearted
- to transform
- strategies to broken heart
- shattered heart
- pictures of hearts broken
- pictures of broken or shattered hearts
- omtimes com 7-strategies-to-transform-a-broken-heart
- i can feel my heart breaking